Here are the reflective comments to the questions raised in the course book relevant to assignment 3 - particularly the manipulated fabric section:
- How does working with fabric in this way compare with working directly with stitch?
Are you pleased with the shapes and movements that you have created in both appliqué and fabric manipulation?
Mostly yes. I liked the heat setting effect and the pulled effects of layered organzas. Sticking together organzas with sandwiched materials between can be very useful and effective and I may use this more in my future project.
- What would you do differently?
Also, I feel more able to be spontaneous with the material itself as the source material; drawings change this spontaneity somehow.
- Were the final results very different from the drawings?
- Did the fabric manipulation technique take over and dictate the final result?
- Was it helpful to work from the drawings in the appliqué exercise?
- Would you have preferred to play directly with cut shapes and materials?
- How do you feel about working with stitch in general? Is it an area you would like to pursue in more depth? Do you find it limiting in any way?